Tuesday, May 25, 2010

LOST!


I loved Lost.  I am going to miss it.  And I am especially going to miss Josh Holloway aka James Sawyer.  Not only is he hot as hell but his character was also complex and interesting.  The bad boy with the heart of gold.  *Sigh*

But I digress.  This blog is about the finale.  I was really disappointed.  I understand all the psycho babble about the sideways world being their limbo until they realized they were dead and were thus freed to move on.  I can appreciate the symbolism of beginning the episode with Jack opening his eyes and ending it with him closing them. 

But I still think it was a cop-out.  They were dead?  Seriously?  I had hoped for better from the writers.  Just seems to me like they took the easy way out.  No need to explain anything because nothing was real.  It left way too many unanswered questions.  And yes, life is about the journey not the destination but let's face it.  LOST was a TV show, not a religious experience.  I want to know why Daniel and Charlotte and so many others weren't in the church?   Because they didn’t realize they were dead?  What was Desmond's part in all this?  How was he a fail safe?  Why the big deal about how special Walt was in the first season and then nothing?  Why was Ben hiring Sayid to kill people?  Why the mass genocide of the Dharma staff?  What about Hurley and his 'cursed' numbers? 

The writers explained that it was all about the characters.   If so, what did we learn about them in the final episode that we didn't already know?  The Island was of such great importance all along - everyone either wanted to save it or destroy it - then in the last episode the Island meant nothing.  It felt to me as though the writers were out of ideas. 

Possibly it was the best possible ending.  Maybe they had taken the show in so many different directions that it was impossible to tie them all together.  At least everyone ended up together.  A happy ending of sorts.

Good night and good-bye Lost.  I'll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment